Thursday, July 9, 2009

I have a theory.

I think I might have an idea on why I've still not started my next cycle. (Yes... still nothing... and we're on day #45 now.)
When we are under stress, regardless of the source (danger, personal relationships, work, environment) our adrenal glands are designed to secrete the hormone cortisol. Cortisol has a direct impact on the sex hormones estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA. Eating disorders, dieting, drug use, and reliance on stimulants like caffeine and alcohol are also interpreted by the body as kinds of stress. Poor nutrition seems to physically change the proteins in the brain so they can no longer send the proper signals for normal ovulation.
I found that here.

And that all makes sense. Right around the time I was due for my period, my doctor suggested I start a diet to shed some extra pounds I'd put on over the past year. It was really stressing me out because I dropped down to 1200 calories a day... which was a huge drop from what I was use to intaking during a day.

Also around that same time, I started my summer classes... which also stressed me out. I had two classes... one that ran 5 days a week for two weeks (and had 3 major tests during those two short weeks!).

AND. As if those two things weren't enough already... I lowered my medicine dosage, too.

I'm thinking that was enough stress to cause a cycle skip.

But, of course, there's no real way to know for sure. I'm just making an educated guess. I figure, if my theory is accurate, that I'll get my next period anywhere from day #56-#60. I'm really hoping it doesn't go up to day #70... because that'd just be insane. (And make me insane in the process.)

So I just wait... impatiently, I assure you. I hate not understanding my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment